Artwork Description / Detail
Baloghy’s painting is pure fiction. Arguably Captain Cook never even saw Lion Rock. He sailed past the coastline, but far out at sea. The name was given by the first Pākehā owner of Piha, Dr William Stockwell, in the late 19th century. The Māori Pa scene was copied from a watercolour by an English itinerant artist Augustus Earle (1793 – 1838) in the 1820s and is nowhere near Piha. Some of the most authentic Māori domestic scenes were recorded by Earle, before the Māori culture changed from increasing contact with Europeans.